I made this review of the Schecter SGR Solo-6 guitar for Guitariste.com where you can hear and watch the video : Schecter SGR Solo-6.
Schecter… They do guitars made for metal and heavy music, right? Actually not if you consider the huge diversity (it’s a euphemism) of their guitars catalog.
I have to confess that for this review, I didn’t do my homework before. Yes ! I opened the box, I took the guitar, and didn’t do any research about it. How much does it cost? what are the specs? Where is it made? I only looked at it and thought : “Oh… A white Les Paul-esque guitar from Schecter… How original is this !!”
And then I remembered : You can’t judge a book by its cover ! Never do that ! And it works for guitars as well !
So, what about this Schecter SGR Solo-6 guitar that doesn’t look like the typical heavy metal guitar ?
- Aesthetic: The white finish is clean and not shiny. It is a nice guitar !
- Fabrication: The neck is pretty well made. Frets work is good, and the varnish in the back of the neck is thin. Nice sensations. The body-neck junction is very clean suggesting a good access to the higher frets.
The guitar seems to be well built. Nothing revolutionary about it but who cares ? Let’s plug, and play…
- The guitar is light, and very comfortable to play. My only regret is about the light gauge strings that come with the guitar : too soft! It requires heavier string to bring the best out of it.
- Access to the higher frets is good but I think it could have been better with a thiner neck joint. As is, it is good enough though.
- Sounds: All in all, this guitar is a good sounding machine.
- The neck pickup has a good clarity on clean tones. When saturated it gets darker and muddy (slightly lacking clarity).
- The bridge pickup is a lot more sharper. On the clean channel of the amp, it is very easy to make it crunch. When saturated it also gets a little bit darker, and muddy.
The Schecter SGR Solo-6 is clearly made for rock, and it does pretty well on bluesy tones as well.
So, how much does it cost ? What ? The Schecter SGR Solo-6 is only 199€ ? That’s right… SGR is a budget line of guitars made by Schecter. I didn’t know that until I researched a little bit ! It is a guitar made for beginners, and while testing it I thought it was three times its actual price. As a mid-range guitar it wouldn’t be that great but for the 199€ price point, it is a hell of a deal !
It is a cool guitar for beginners… That’s funny how times have changed. Now you can get a real comfortable and sounding guitar to begin with. Plus it has a cool look ! What else would you ask for ?
- Light gauge strings
- Lack of clarity when saturated
- Basswood body
- Bolt-on neck
- Maple neck. Rosewood fingerboard
- Scale 25,5”
- Tune-O-Matic bridge with thru-body
- 3-way switch
- SGR Schecter Diamond Plus humbucker pickups
More information on schecterguitars.com