I guess that in the future we will see more of this kind of initiative (actually I’m not guessing, I know but I can’t tell further right now!!)… The guitar lessons website Lick Library launched a free magazine called iGuitar Magazine (stands for Interactive Guitar Magazine).
The first issue of iGuitar Magazine features cool and enjoyable interviews, performances, and reviews. This magazine should be a good leader product in order for them to recruit more premium members for the Lick Library website.
I read the first issue of iGuitar magazine, and I have to say that its content is pretty good:
- Interviews: you will find Guthrie Govan for example.
- Tech sessions: this is the best part of the magazine because that’s the experience of Lick Library. This issue is focused a lot on David Gilmour style but not only.
- Gear Reviews: guitars, amps & effects. This issue features gear from PRS, Fender, Hiwatt, Boss, G&L…
The biggest strength of the magazine is to mix written content with video content.
But to me there is a weakness in the mag: it is entirely made in flash! Not that I have something against flash because it is actually nice to see how the magazine is designed as a traditional magazine but with videos. So why do I think it is a weakness?
- iPhone / iPad users won’t have access (as I am not a iThingy user I just remember that flash isn’t supported. Am I a still up to date?). This could be embarassing for iGuitar as these devices are more and more popular, and considering that reading a magazine on a computer screen can be boring.
- The interactive aspect of the mag isn’t that obvious because of the interaction with the content is restricted. Let me explain. The main interaction you have with the content is made to push it to social networks, and friends via e-mails. The missing feature is the possibility to comment the articles which sounds like a restriction of the interactivity to me.
But let’s not be negative, and I wish good luck to iGuitar Magazine. Check the February issue contents… Sounds all good to me!