It was not really recorded on Friday… But why not creating some time distorsion? Here is a lap steel jam on a blues backing track for a French jam website guitare-live. Backing tracks are often very short (approximately 1’30) which allows 2 approaches:
- Make a real mini tune with multiple guitar, lap steel or bass tracks.
- Make a one shot recording improvisation.
Lately I mostly choose the second approach, and I quickly build an improvisation on the backing tracks. I find it interesting to proceed that way. Principle:
- I play the backing track 2 or 3 times in order to choose the sound I will use (effects/no effects?), and to get familiar with the harmonic landscape. Here I wanted to play some wah wah, and I wanted to try a killswitch effect at the end of the track.
- I press record.
- 3 takes is the maximum allowed… Here, it is the second take which suited me the best.
- I don’t do re-recordings to correct the imperfections… I keep it with a jam spirit. Anyway if its totally out of tune or will provide a bad listening experience then I don’t post! Instead I will come back to backing track later (hours or days later) to be spontaneous again.
So, here is the Friday Lap Steel Blues in the tube…